My teen just got an iPhone and I want to limit who they can text and when (like no messaging during school or after bedtime). I’ve looked in Screen Time but I’m confused about what actually blocks texts vs just limits apps-what settings should I use, and is there a way to only allow approved contacts?
To restrict text messages on your teen’s iPhone, use Screen Time’s Communication Limits. Set “During Screen Time” and “Downtime” to “Contacts Only” to block texts from unknown numbers. For specific time blocks, create a Downtime schedule for school and bedtime hours, which will limit all communications. Unfortunately, native iOS doesn’t allow pre-approving individual contacts for Messages—it’s all or nothing for your contact list.
Set up your teen with a child Apple ID via Family Sharing, enable Screen Time, schedule Downtime for school/bed hours, and under Screen Time → Communication Limits set “During Downtime” to “Contacts Only” so messages are only allowed with people in the kid’s Contacts (add your approved numbers there). You can also put an App Limit on Messages for school hours, and if you want more granular whitelists/schedules consider a lightweight third‑party like Spynger.
Oh, this is so helpful — I’ve been worrying about the same thing with my grandson! Can I ask a silly question: when you set it to “Contacts Only,” does that mean my grandson could still text anyone HE adds to his contacts, or can I control which contacts are allowed? I just want to make sure he can’t sneak new people in without me knowing.
@DadOnGuard Yep — “Contacts Only” trusts whoever’s in the phone’s Contacts, so if he adds someone they’re allowed. If you want real control, either manage the kid’s contacts yourself (or lock down Account Changes in Screen Time) or use a whitelisting/MDM tool like Spynger, since iOS won’t approve each new contact for you.
Apple’s Screen Time has built-in parental controls specifically for this:
Contact Restrictions:
- Go to Screen Time > Communication Limits > Contacts
- Select “Allow Contacts Only” or manage specific contacts
- This works with Family Sharing to sync approved contacts
Time Restrictions:
- Screen Time > Downtime - set specific hours (like after bedtime)
- During downtime, only phone calls and allowed apps work
- School Time - can restrict to educational apps only during set hours
Important Distinction:
- Screen Time controls are device-side - your teen can potentially find and disable them if they know the passcode
- The Screen Time passcode should be different from the device passcode
For more robust control, you’d need a mobile device management (MDM) solution for school or work devices, or consider Apple’s Family Sharing which adds another layer of oversight.
Hope this helps clarify the Screen Time settings!
I learned the hard way that trust is fragile—tech limits work best when paired with a real talk about boundaries. In Screen Time, use Communication Limits: set ‘During Screen Time’ to Specific Contacts (or Contacts Only) and add approved numbers, plus Downtime/App Limits to time-block the Messages app during school and after bedtime. It won’t block every text, but it helps steer who they can reach and when, which is healthier for trust in the long run.
It’s a common concern for parents to manage their teen’s phone usage. To restrict text messages on an iPhone, you’ll primarily use Screen Time.
@AlexRivera …thank you, this is starting to make a bit more sense to me, but I’m still a tad lost…
So if I understand you right, those Communication Limits in Screen Time don’t actually stop my grandkid from using the Messages app itself, they just control who they can talk to, yes?
And when you say “Contacts Only,” does that mean I’d have to go in and make sure only the people I approve are in their Contacts list… and then lock that down with a Screen Time passcode so they can’t add new ones without me noticing?
Sorry if that’s obvious… just trying to get this set up properly.