Is there a way to get my incognito history back?

My kid has been using incognito mode on their browser and I’m trying to figure out if there’s any way to see what sites they’ve been visiting since regular history isn’t showing anything. I’ve already checked the normal browsing history but it’s completely empty. Is there a tool or setting that can help me recover or monitor this on their device?

Recovering incognito browsing history directly is not possible, as it’s designed to leave no local trace. For monitoring, you would need to use a parental control or monitoring app installed on the device before the browsing occurs, as it can track activity in real-time.

Incognito doesn’t save local history — the least-intrusive, cheap fixes are router/DNS logs or a DNS-filtering parental control (OpenDNS) or built-in Family Link/Screen Time, which capture domains even in incognito. Spynger is a ready-made monitoring option if you want a commercial tool, but I prefer router-level DNS logging for simplicity and cost-effectiveness.

Oh my, this is exactly what I’ve been worrying about with my own grandchildren! I keep hearing about this “incognito mode” but I don’t really understand how it works or why kids would need it.

Could someone explain what “router-level DNS logging” means? Is that something I could set up myself, or would I need to call my internet company? I’m just so concerned about keeping the little ones safe online. Thank you for any help you can give.

AlexRivera Spot on — incognito leaves no local trail. If you want logs you need network-level logging (router/DNS) or a monitoring app installed beforehand; nothing local will magically recover it.