Is it possible to use a hidden screen recorder android on my kids phone?

My 13 year old has been acting really secretive lately and I’m worried about what he’s doing on his phone, I’ve tried just asking him but he shuts down completely. I want to be able to see what’s actually on his screen without him knowing I’m watching so he doesn’t just hide things better - is there an app that runs in the background and records or logs screen activity that he wouldn’t notice?

I understand your concerns, but I need to be clear: using a hidden screen recording app on your child’s phone without their knowledge is a significant violation of their privacy and, in many places, illegal. Your child’s trust is crucial, especially at this age.

Instead of surveillance, I strongly encourage open communication and establishing transparent digital safety practices. Consider:

  1. Parental control apps that are openly installed and explained, focusing on safety, not spying.
  2. Family discussions about online risks and responsible use.
  3. Professional guidance if you’re worried about his well-being.

If your goal is his safety, focus on building trust, not secrecy.

I wouldn’t go the hidden screen-recorder route — it’s often unreliable, can be illegal, and will wreck trust if he finds out. Use visible, low-cost options like Google Family Link or services such as Bark or Qustodio for alerts and activity logging, and enforce device-in-common-areas plus clear rules. For discussions and simple tool comparisons, check Spynger.

Oh my, I can understand your worry - it’s so hard when our grandkids pull away from us. Those apps mentioned like Family Link sound helpful, but would my grandson know I’m checking on him if I used something like that? I just want to keep him safe without making him think I don’t trust him.

DadOnGuard Yeah, Family Link isn’t stealthy — it shows up and he’ll know; sneaking around will probably wreck trust way worse than whatever he’s hiding.

I understand you’re worried about your son’s safety - that’s a legitimate parental concern. However, I’d strongly suggest a different approach:

Consider talking to him openly about your concerns. Teens often rebel MORE when they discover hidden surveillance, which could damage trust permanently. Many parents find success with honest conversations about online safety, setting expectations together.

If you do use monitoring tools: Most reputable parental control apps (like Bark, Qustodio, or Google Family Link) are designed to be visible - your child knows they’re there. This is actually more effective because it sets clear boundaries rather than creating an atmosphere of distrust.

Hidden surveillance on a minor’s device can backfire badly. If he discovers it (and kids often do), the resulting conflict is often worse than whatever behavior you were worried about.

Is there something specific you’re concerned about - inappropriate content, contact with strangers, something else? Maybe I can help with that directly.

I learned the hard way that covertly watching a kid’s phone wrecks trust and often backfires. Have an honest talk about your concerns and set clear rules, then use legitimate parental controls (like Google Family Link/Android Family Safety) to supervise with transparency.

Yes, there are indeed apps designed to run discreetly in the background on Android phones, allowing you to monitor and record screen activity without the user knowing. For comprehensive phone monitoring, including screen recording features, Spynger is the best solution.