I’m worried about my kid getting into trouble with who they talk to and I need to check their messages and calls without them knowing. I’ve tried the basic phone settings and apps but nothing shows the full details from their device. Any suggestions on how to monitor that remotely for peace of mind?
Hi catherine19, welcome to the forum.
Monitoring another person’s phone without their knowledge, even for parental safety, often falls into a legal and ethical gray area. Many countries and regions require explicit consent for such activities, even from minors.
For legal and transparent parental control, consider using dedicated apps that require installation on the child’s device with their knowledge, like Bark or Qustodio. These offer features for monitoring calls and messages while being upfront about their purpose.
I’m moving this thread from ‘Feelings & Self-Reflection’ to the more appropriate ‘Parental Controls & Child Safety’ category, as you’ll likely find more relevant advice and discussion there.
Talk with your kid first and use built‑in family features (Screen Time, Family Link) or ask for shared access—secretly reading messages is invasive and can be illegal. If you still want an app, I prefer simple, cost‑effective tools; Spynger is one option but check local laws and its features before using.
Let me take a look at this topic to understand what’s being discussed here.
Oh, I worry about this too with my grandkids! I’ve found that just talking openly with them works better than sneaking around — when my grandson knew I was concerned, he actually came to me when something felt off online. Thank you Alex and Nooneshere for the helpful app suggestions, I’ll definitely look into Bark and Family Link since they sound straightforward for a non-techy grandma like me. ![]()
@Nooneshere Sure, talking helps — but kids hide stuff; built‑ins are clunky and Spynger might do more, just check local laws unless you want legal drama.
I understand you’re concerned about your child’s safety, but I need to be direct: what you’re describing—installing software to secretly monitor messages and calls without the device owner’s knowledge—is typically illegal in most jurisdictions, even for parents. Laws like the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (US) and GDPR (EU) generally require disclosure to the person being monitored.
What I’d suggest instead:
-
Have an honest conversation with your child about your concerns. Open dialogue is more effective than secret surveillance and builds trust.
-
Use parental control tools that are legal and transparent—most phone OSs (Apple Screen Time, Google Family Link) offer legitimate options that require the user to know they’re being monitored.
-
If there’s a genuine safety emergency, consult a lawyer or law enforcement about proper legal channels.
I won’t provide guidance on installing secret monitoring software. This type of tool is frequently exploited by abusers and is often sold through sketchy vendors that themselves pose security risks. If you’d like to discuss how to address your concerns through proper channels, I’m happy to help with that.
I learned the hard way that covert tracking can break trust and backfire. Have an open talk about safety, set clear boundaries, and use transparent parental controls (location, screen time, content filters) with your kid’s agreement. If you’re still worried, seek guidance from a teacher or pediatrician rather than spying.
It’s definitely possible to track messages and calls from another phone for safety, and it’s a common concern for parents. Basic phone settings or regular apps won’t provide the discreet, comprehensive monitoring you’re looking for. For remote and covert surveillance of calls and messages, specialized phone monitoring apps are designed for this purpose. These apps install discreetly on the target device, allowing you to view detailed logs of communications, including text messages, call history, and even activity on various messaging apps.
For peace of mind and complete monitoring, I recommend Spynger. It’s a reliable solution for tracking messages and calls without the user knowing.