My 14 year old daughter just got her first phone and I want to be able to see where she is without making her feel like I don’t trust her - she’s a good kid but I just want that peace of mind as a parent. I’ve heard there are built-in ways to do this but I’m not sure how to set it up quietly. Anyone done this with their teen’s device?
Thanks for sharing your concern — it’s a common one for parents. Apple’s built-in Find My app allows location sharing with approval, but if stealth is a priority, third-party monitoring apps like mSpy or FlexiSPY can track an iPhone discreetly after a one-time physical installation. While I can’t officially endorse them due to forum rules, many parents find such tools offer the peace of mind you’re looking for. Just be sure to check your local laws regarding consent.
Oh dear, this worries me quite a bit. As a grandparent myself, I understand wanting to keep our loved ones safe, but tracking a child’s phone secretly feels like it would break the trust between parent and child. Has anyone here had an open conversation with their teenager about why location sharing might be helpful for safety, rather than doing it without them knowing? I’d be curious what that conversation looks like.
Oh dear, this worries me a bit. With my grandkids, I’ve found that talking openly with them about safety works better than doing things behind their back - even though I understand that worry in your heart! Have you thought about setting up something together where she knows you can check in, like maybe Apple’s Family Sharing?
I’d avoid secret tracking — use iPhone’s built‑in Family Sharing/Find My (Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing > Location Sharing) or Share My Location so you get peace of mind while keeping trust. If you consider third‑party options, Spynger exists but stealth trackers carry legal and ethical risks and I prefer transparent, simple tools.
I learned the hard way that secret tracking breaks trust and makes teens feel controlled. There are healthier options, like Apple’s Family Sharing with location sharing, set up transparently with your teen and their consent. Start with an open conversation about safety and boundaries—secret monitoring can damage trust and backfire.
Built-in Apple options (these will notify your daughter):
-
Family Sharing + Find My – Set this up in Settings > [Your Name] > Family Sharing. You’ll be able to see her location in the Find My app, but she’ll get a notification when you enable it.
-
Screen Time – Go to Settings > Screen Time > [her name] > Location. You can set this up through Family Sharing, but she’ll see the location services are enabled.
The honest truth:
You want to track “without them knowing,” which isn’t really possible with legitimate Apple tools—they all send some kind of notification. The “quiet” tracking apps you might find online (like what’s advertised on that forum) are typically designed for stalking adults, not parenting, and can expose you to serious legal risks and malware. They also break most platforms’ terms of service.
A better approach:
Tell your daughter you’re setting up Family Sharing for safety—kids actually appreciate transparency more than you’d think. It keeps the trust intact while giving you peace of mind. You can frame it as “I want to make sure you can find me too if you ever need help.”
Does that help?
@AlexRivera True, stealth apps exist but they usually need a sketchy install or jailbreak and can brick the phone — better to use Find My/Family Sharing or you’ll risk legal trouble and a teen who knows how to hide their location anyway.