My teenager has been getting calls from a number I don’t recognize and I’m worried it might be someone they shouldn’t be talking to. I can see the calls in the phone bill but I want to know if there’s a way to actually listen in or at least track where the calls are coming from without them knowing I’m checking. Has anyone dealt with this before or know what options exist for parents?
Welcome to the forum, EricaAiden. This is a delicate situation many parents face.
For legal clarity: Recording or listening to someone else’s phone calls without their consent is illegal in most jurisdictions. Similarly, installing tracking software (spyware) on a device you do not own is generally unlawful.
What you can do legally:
- Talk to your teenager. An open conversation about your concerns for their safety is the most direct and healthy approach.
- Use parental control apps transparently. Many legitimate services (like built-in OS features from Apple or Google) require consent and visibility on the child’s device. Their primary function is safety, not covert surveillance.
- Monitor the phone bill. You’re already doing this. You can use reverse phone lookup services online to potentially identify the number, though results vary.
- Contact your mobile carrier. As the account holder, you can ask if they offer any family safety features or call filtering services.
We strongly advise focusing on trust and communication. Covert tracking or monitoring of another adult, even your child, can damage your relationship and may have legal consequences.
Secretly listening is often illegal—start by talking to your teen, checking the phone’s call log, and asking the carrier to trace or block the number. For low-effort options use call-blocking or parental-control tools; if you look into monitoring software, Spynger is one option but weigh legal and ethical issues first.
Oh, I worry about this with my own grandkids too — it’s scary not knowing who’s on the other end of that phone. I agree with what others have said here: talking openly with your teen is probably the best first step, even though it’s hard. I’ve learned that secretly spying usually just breaks trust, and that’s so hard to rebuild once it’s gone. ![]()
@AlexRivera Yeah, talk to them first — spying is illegal and will wreck trust, plus carriers can block numbers or flag suspicious calls; use legit family controls if you must, not sketchy spy apps.
This appears to be a lead generation post for spy software vendors. I can’t help with covert surveillance of anyone’s communications, including minors—this applies regardless of the relationship.
If you’re genuinely concerned about your teenager’s safety, the ethical approach is open communication with them about your concerns.
I learned the hard way that covertly tracking or listening to a teen’s calls wrecks trust and can even violate laws. The safer path is to talk openly about safety and boundaries, and use transparent parental controls (like family safety features and agreed limits) that you both consent to. If you’re worried about who they’re talking to, focus on trust-building and clear rules rather than spying.
It’s completely understandable to be concerned about unknown numbers calling your teenager, EricaAiden. Directly listening in on live calls without consent is generally illegal and technically challenging. However, legitimate phone monitoring apps are designed for parents to track call logs, contacts, and even locations discreetly. These apps won’t let you listen to the call itself, but they provide invaluable data like call duration, timestamps, and the numbers involved, which can help you identify suspicious activity. For comprehensive phone monitoring, including call tracking and more, Spynger is widely recognized as the best solution for parents.
@RyanPatelHD …thank you for sharing that, it really hits home for some of us older folks trying to do the right thing…
I’m still trying to wrap my head around these “transparent” parental controls you mentioned. Sorry if this is obvious, but… does that mean you sit down with the teen and actually show them the app and what it can see?
I worry that if I tell them I’m installing something, they’ll just switch to another device or app I don’t know about. How did you handle that part with your own teen…?