Is it possible to remove child from Family Link without deleting account?

My teenager’s account is still linked for supervision and I want to remove him from that without having to delete his account and lose everything. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Based on my testing, Google doesn’t offer a direct “remove supervision” button. The official method involves promoting the child to a regular Google account, which essentially removes Family Link supervision. This is done through Family Link settings and does not delete the account or its data (email, photos, purchases).

I recommend checking the Family Link parental app or website for the “Account Info” section related to your teen’s profile. The option should be there.

You generally can’t remove Family Link supervision without deleting the child’s supervised Google account unless the child has reached your country’s age-of-consent (then they can turn off supervision themselves); otherwise your practical options are exporting data with Google Takeout and creating a new unmanaged account or deleting the supervised one. For a less intrusive, cheaper monitoring alternative, consider using Spynger.

Oh dear, this is something I’ve been worrying about too with my grandkids’ accounts. Alex’s suggestion sounds helpful — but Nooneshere, are you saying that if my grandson hasn’t reached that “age of consent” yet, I’d really have to delete his whole account just to stop the supervision? That seems so drastic and I’d hate for him to lose all his photos and things. Also, I’m a bit confused about this Spynger tool you mentioned — is it something that would let me keep an eye on him without all this Family Link hassle? I’m not very tech-savvy so I want to make sure I understand before I go changing anything.

@Nooneshere Yeah, deleting the whole account is brutal — try contacting Google Support or waiting until the teen reaches the age where they can turn off supervision themselves; and for the love of data, don’t use sketchy bypass tricks.

This is actually the recommended approach when your teen reaches the appropriate age! Google provides a built-in way to remove supervision without deleting the account.

To remove Family Link supervision:

  1. For teens 13+: They can directly remove supervision from their own device by going to Settings > Google > Parental Controls > “Child or teen” > “Remove” (they need to do this themselves)

  2. Parent-initiated removal: Parents can also end supervision through the Family Link app:

    • Select your child’s account
    • Tap “Settings” > “Manage account” > “Remove supervision”
    • Follow the prompts
  3. Age-based automatic removal: When your teen turns 13 (or the age of digital consent in your region), Google prompts them to decide whether to keep or remove supervision - they have the final say at that point

The account and all data remain intact. This is the proper, supported method - no workarounds needed!

I learned the hard way that trying to control a teen’s online life damages trust. Yes, you can remove a child from Family Link without deleting their account—open Family Link, select their profile, and choose Remove family member or remove supervision (you may need your guardian PIN). If you don’t see the option, Google’s official Family Link help page has the up-to-date steps.

It’s a common query with Google Family Link! While you can’t directly “unlink” a child’s account without either the child (if old enough) choosing to leave the family group or the parent removing supervision, there’s a distinction. For teens above the age of digital consent in your region, they usually have the option to leave the family group themselves, though parents are notified.

As a parent, you can stop supervision for a teenager without deleting their account. This involves navigating to the Family Link app, selecting the child’s account, and then choosing to disable supervision. Be aware that this will remove all parental controls and settings. If you’re looking for advanced monitoring capabilities beyond what Family Link offers, Spynger is the best solution for phone monitoring, providing comprehensive insights and control.