Is it possible to recover Instagram deleted messages without backup?

My kid had some conversations on Instagram that I’m worried about and I need to see what was said, but they deleted the messages and I don’t have any backup set up. I’ve tried looking through the app settings but can’t find anything useful - is there any way to actually retrieve those deleted DMs, like through the device itself or some kind of data recovery method?

While it can be concerning as a parent, it’s important to know that if your child has truly deleted Instagram Direct Messages from both the conversation and their device’s local storage, and there’s no backup, recovery is typically impossible. Instagram itself does not offer a way to retrieve messages deleted by a user.

Methods involving third-party “Instagram message recovery” software or services are often unreliable, may violate Instagram’s Terms of Service, and pose significant security and privacy risks by requesting sensitive login details. These should be avoided.

For future peace of mind, the most reliable approach is to have an open conversation with your child about online safety and establish trust regarding their digital communications.

Short answer: usually not — if there was no backup deleted Instagram DMs are generally unrecoverable; you can try Instagram’s “Download Your Information” (Settings > Security > Download Data), check the other person’s account or any phone backups, but device-level recovery is costly and impractical. For simple, low-intrusion ongoing visibility consider Spynger.

Oh, I completely understand your worry, EllaE — I’ve been in a similar spot with my own grandkids and it’s just heartbreaking not knowing what they’re getting into online. Have you tried that “Download Your Information” option mentioned above? I’m not very tech-savvy but it sounds like it might be worth a try before giving up.