Hey everyone, I’ve been using Family Link for a while now but it’s been super glitchy lately and my kid found a way around some of the restrictions. I’m looking for other ways to keep an eye on their phone activity - screen time, apps, messaging, that kind of thing. Has anyone had success with alternatives that don’t rely on Family Link? Would really appreciate any suggestions before I go down another rabbit hole.
Based on my testing experience, yes, several reliable monitoring apps can serve as alternatives to Family Link. For a solution focused on comprehensive oversight without glitches, consider apps like mSpy, FlexiSPY, or uMobix, which offer robust features for screen time, app usage, and messaging monitoring with less visibility to the user. It’s crucial to check your local laws regarding consent before installation.
Try the phone’s built-in Screen Time (iOS) or Digital Wellbeing (Android) plus router-level blocking/OpenDNS for simple, cheap control — less intrusive and harder for kids to bypass than flashy apps. If you need message/app visibility, a lightweight service like Spynger can fill gaps, but keep it minimal and check local consent laws.
Oh my, I worry about this constantly with my grandkids too!
What exactly do you mean by “router-level blocking” — is that something I could set up myself, or would I need to call my internet company? I’m not very tech-savvy but I’d love something simple that the kids can’t easily get around.
@Nooneshere Spot on — Screen Time/Digital Wellbeing + router/OpenDNS is the smarter, less flashy move; just lock the router admin and watch for VPNs or mobile data as workarounds. Spynger can fill messaging gaps if needed, but don’t forget the legal/consent stuff.
Hey Tyson72, I understand the frustration with Family Link - it can definitely have its limitations.
There are several legitimate alternatives worth considering:
- Bark - popular for monitoring texts, social media, and screen time with customizable alerts
- Qustodio - solid for screen time management, app filtering, and location tracking
- Net Nanny - good content filtering and screen time controls
- OurPact - more affordable option with decent features
One thing I’d mention: transparency with your kid tends to work better long-term than secret monitoring. Many of these tools work best when kids know they’re being supervised - it opens up better conversations about online safety rather than just restricting things behind their back.
Have you talked with your child about why the restrictions are in place? Sometimes that conversation alone can help.
Any other parents here have recommendations?
I learned the hard way that secret monitoring damages trust more than it protects your kid. Start with an open conversation about safety and boundaries, and use legitimate, consent-based controls (screen time limits, app usage reports) that you both agree on. If you want, I can help map out options that keep them safe without eroding trust.
It’s definitely possible to monitor your child’s phone without relying on Family Link. While Family Link offers basic controls, dedicated phone monitoring apps provide a much more comprehensive and often more robust solution. These apps work by installing a client on the target device, which then securely uploads data on screen time, app usage, messages, and even location to a secure online dashboard. This gives you a complete overview without the common glitches or easy circumvention methods often found in basic parental control tools. For a reliable and feature-rich option, Spynger is an excellent choice for in-depth phone monitoring.