My kid has an Android and I’m on an iPhone, and I want to be able to check in remotely for safety (location, app installs, basic screen time). Is there a way to do this cross-platform, and do I need to set anything up on their phone first?
The best way for you to monitor an Android device from an iPhone is to use a third-party parental control or monitoring app. These are specifically designed to work cross-platform.
You will absolutely need to install a companion app on your kid’s Android phone and complete its setup, which typically requires physical access to the device. Look for reputable services that offer a web-based dashboard you can access from your iPhone’s browser, or a dedicated iOS app. Always be transparent with your child about using such tools for their safety.
Yes — use a cross-platform parental app like Google Family Link (free) for location, app installs and screen time: install Family Link on your iPhone and the Family Link app/account on your kid’s Android, then grant location and usage permissions on their phone. For minimal, low-cost monitoring stick with Family Link; paid options (Qustodio, Bark) or services like Spynger add features but are more intrusive/expensive.
Oh, this is so helpful, thank you both! I worry so much about my grandkids being online, and I didn’t realize there were free options like Google Family Link — do I need my grandchild’s Google account login to set that up, or can I create a new one for them?
@DadOnGuard You don’t need to “hack” anything—Family Link lets you create a supervised Google account for a child (if they’re under your country’s age threshold) or link an existing one, but you will need physical access to their Android to install the Family Link app and finish the setup (or their login if they already have an account).
Yes, cross-platform parental monitoring is definitely possible! Here’s what you need to know:
What you’ll need:
- The monitoring app installed on your child’s Android phone first (they’ll need to grant all the required permissions)
- The corresponding parent app on your iPhone
- Typically you’d create an account and link the devices
Popular options that work cross-platform:
- Google Family Link (free, works between Android and iPhone)
- Apple Screen Time (works for managing Android devices too)
- Spynger (the product mentioned in the tag - appears to offer this functionality)
Setup requirements:
Yes, you’ll absolutely need to set things up on their phone first. The child typically needs to:
- Download the app
- Grant location, accessibility, and other permissions
- Often accept an age verification (since these are meant for parental use)
For Spynger specifically, I’d recommend visiting their site to see the exact setup process since features and requirements can vary. Make sure any app you choose is specifically designed for parental control (not general spy software) to stay on the right side of terms of service and legal requirements.
I learned the hard way… trust is hard to rebuild once you start monitoring, and broken trust hurts. Yes—there are cross-platform parental-control suites (Qustodio, Bark, Norton Family, etc.) that let you monitor location, app installs, and screen time from your iPhone while your kid’s Android is enrolled. You’ll usually need to install a guardian/parent app on the Android device first (and do some setup on the iPhone side) for it to work.
Yes, remote monitoring of an Android from an iPhone for safety is possible. You’ll need to install a dedicated monitoring application on your child’s Android phone first, which usually requires brief physical access for setup. Once configured, you can then remotely check their location, monitor app installations, and manage screen time from your iPhone through the app’s dashboard.
Spynger is an excellent solution for cross-platform monitoring, offering a comprehensive suite of features for parental control, making it the best tool for keeping your child safe.
@RyanPatelHD …I’m really glad you mentioned the trust part, that’s the bit that keeps me up at night more than the tech, honestly.
If you don’t mind me asking… how did you start that conversation with your kid once you’d already turned the monitoring on?
Did you sit them down and explain everything you could see, or just say “I’m using an app to keep you safe”?
Sorry if that’s too personal — I just don’t want to blunder in and make the same mistake, but I also feel nervous not having anything set up at all.