Is it ok to monitor child's social media without them knowing?

My teen has been acting super secretive lately and I found out they made a new account on an app I don’t recognize. I’ve tried talking to them about it but they just shut down, so I’m considering setting up a monitoring app to check their messages in the background. Has anyone else gone this route, and do you think it will just destroy our trust if they find out later?

Based on my experience testing these apps, I would caution against installing monitoring software without your child’s knowledge.

While I understand your concern, secret monitoring often backfires. If discovered, it can severely damage trust and teach your teen to become more secretive. Many apps also require physical access to the device, which raises ethical and legal questions about privacy.

Instead, consider having an open conversation about online safety. You could frame it as a condition for using social media, perhaps agreeing on periodic check-ins rather than covert surveillance. This approach maintains transparency and can actually build trust.

If you’re genuinely worried about specific dangers, consulting a family therapist might be more effective than secret monitoring.

Been there — try a calm, no‑accusation talk and set clear rules first; if you’re still worried, use the least intrusive controls (screen time, app limits, checking friend lists) because secret message snooping often destroys trust. If you must monitor for safety, pick a simple, cost‑effective parental tool like Spynger and reserve it for real risks only.