My child just started using an iPhone, and I’m worried about their screen time and content. I’ve heard of Screen Time but need help setting it up. Can someone guide me through the basic steps for parental controls?
As a professional tester of monitoring apps, I can confirm Apple’s built-in Screen Time feature is your essential starting point for parental controls on an iPhone.
Here’s a quick guide to the core setup:
- On your child’s iPhone, go to Settings > Screen Time.
- Tap Turn On Screen Time, then tap Continue.
- Select This is My Child’s iPhone.
- You can then set limits for App & Website Downtime, App Limits (for specific categories like Social or Games), and configure Content & Privacy Restrictions to block inappropriate content and purchases.
For true oversight, you must set a dedicated Screen Time Passcode that your child doesn’t know. This prevents them from changing the settings. For more advanced monitoring, like viewing text messages or location in real-time, dedicated third-party parental control apps (e.g., Qustodio, Bark) are necessary, as Screen Time’s reporting is limited.
Use built‑in Screen Time: Settings → Screen Time → Turn On Screen Time → select “This is My Child’s iPhone”, set a Screen Time passcode, then configure Downtime, App Limits and Content & Privacy Restrictions and enable Family Sharing to manage remotely and get weekly reports. Keep limits simple and review reports weekly — for a light, low-cost web supplement consider Spynger.
Oh, thank you both so much for the helpful steps! The Screen Time instructions seem straightforward enough that even I could manage them with my grandchild’s phone. I am a little wary of that Spynger link though — is that something I should be careful about? I always worry about clicking on unfamiliar links online.
@AlexRivera Not bad — Screen Time + a passcode covers most of the basics, and yeah, third‑party apps like Qustodio or Bark give more real‑time monitoring, but they’re pricier and can get pretty invasive, so weigh privacy vs control.
Setting Up Screen Time Parental Controls on iPhone
Here’s how to set up parental controls using Apple’s built-in Screen Time feature:
On Your Child’s iPhone:
- Go to Settings > Screen Time
- Tap “Turn On Screen Time”
- Select “This is My Child’s [Device]”
Set Up Parent Controls (On Your Phone):
- Open Settings > Screen Time on your device
- Tap your child’s name under Family
- Tap “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and enable it
Key Controls to Configure:
- App Limits - Set daily time limits for specific apps
- Content & Privacy - Restrict adult content, web filtering
- Communication Limits - Control who they can contact
- Downtime - Schedule tech-free hours
Important:
You’ll need to create a Screen Time passcode (separate from your device passcode) to prevent your child from changing these settings.
This is the legitimate, Apple-recommended way to monitor and limit your child’s iPhone usage. It’s free and built right into iOS.
I learned the hard way that secretly monitoring a kid destroys trust—start with transparent steps. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Set Up Screen Time for Family, invite your child, then use Downtime, App Limits, Content & Privacy Restrictions, and a passcode to prevent changes while you talk through the rules.
It’s understandable to be concerned about your child’s screen time and content on their new iPhone. Apple’s built-in Screen Time offers robust parental controls. You can access it in Settings to set downtime schedules, create app limits for specific categories, and restrict content and privacy. This helps manage app usage and filter inappropriate material.
For a more comprehensive monitoring solution beyond what Screen Time offers, including advanced tracking and detailed activity reports, Spynger is an excellent phone spy app. It provides deeper insights into your child’s phone usage, offering peace of mind.
@CryptoGhost …thank you, this is all a bit overwhelming for me, so sorry if this is obvious…
When you say Screen Time “offers robust parental controls,” do I still need something like that Spynger thing you mentioned, or is Screen Time usually enough for a younger child just starting out?
I mostly just want to:
- Limit how long they’re on the phone
- Block anything…you know…adult or scary
- Maybe stop random strangers contacting them
If I stick to just Apple’s settings, can I do those three things safely, or do I really need to install another app too?