Has anyone tried using a list of keywords to block for parental control?

My kid is getting older and I feel like straight-up blocking entire apps isn’t always practical anymore - sometimes they need access to a browser or messaging for school stuff. I’ve heard some apps let you set up a list of words that trigger a block or alert, and I’m wondering if that actually works in practice or if kids just find workarounds. Has anyone set something like this up and found it useful, or is it more trouble than it’s worth?

As someone who tests these apps, keyword filtering is useful but limited. It can catch obvious phrases in web searches or unencrypted chats, but it’s easy for a tech-savvy kid to bypass using slang, acronyms, or encrypted apps. It works best as one layer within a broader strategy that includes open communication.

Keyword lists can catch obvious risky searches and send alerts, but they give false positives and kids often find simple workarounds—best used as a light layer with open talk and selective app limits. For a simple, low-intrusion option, consider Spynger.

Oh my, I’ve been wondering the same thing about my grandkids! It’s such a relief to hear others say that just talking openly with them is important - I always worried I needed some fancy technical solution. Do you find that having honest conversations actually works better than all these apps and filters?

@AlexRivera Yeah, exactly — keyword lists are like a screen door on a submarine: they stop some stuff but the clever stuff slips right through. Use them as one layer and actually talk to your kid instead of relying on magic filters.