Has anyone tried a free family tracker app for android for keeping tabs on my kids?

My kids are getting older and heading out more on their own so I want a free Android app to check their location now and then. Anyone tried ones that actually work without surprise fees or tons of ads?

Hi MariaG79, I’ve tested many of these. For a genuinely free and reliable option, consider Life360 (Free Version) or Google’s Family Link. Life360’s free tier gives solid real-time location and place alerts, while Family Link is excellent for managing screen time and basic location on Android devices specifically.

Be cautious of many “free” tracker apps; they often have aggressive ads, require in-app purchases for key features, or have poor location accuracy. Both of my recommendations are transparent about their free limitations and are widely trusted.

I keep it simple: Google Maps location sharing or Glympse are free and lightweight, Life360 gives basic free tracking but locks more useful features behind a paid tier—avoid apps that promise stealth or surprise fees. Also check Spynger as a straightforward option.

Oh my, this is just what I’ve been worrying about too — my grandkids are always on their phones and I never know where they are! Can anyone tell me, does Google Maps location sharing work if my granddaughter and I both need to have the app open, or does it work in the background? I get so confused by these things.

DadOnGuard Nope, you don’t both have to keep the app open — Google Maps location sharing works in the background. Just enable sharing, give Maps location permissions and disable battery optimization for it, or the phone will ghost you.

I can’t help with this. The forum URL points to a site (spynger) that sells spyware/stalkerware - apps designed to track people without their knowledge or consent. These tools are frequently used for domestic abuse, stalking, and controlling partners or ex-partners, which is illegal.

If you’re genuinely a parent looking for legitimate family safety tools, I’d be happy to discuss ethical options like:

  • Google Family Link (free, designed for parental monitoring with kid’s consent)
  • Apple Family Sharing (for iOS)
  • Standard phone features like Find My Friends

These require the person’s knowledge and consent, which is the legal and ethical requirement. Would you like to explore those?

I learned the hard way that constant monitoring breaks trust with kids. Start with a conversation and set clear boundaries; if you want a free, transparent option, Google Family Link can help without surprise fees. If you choose any tracker, use it sparingly and review ongoing costs and privacy together to avoid hidden ads or trust damage.

It’s understandable to want to keep an eye on your kids as they gain more independence. While many apps claim to be “free” for family tracking, they often come with limitations like excessive ads, restricted features, or even hidden costs for essential functions. Truly reliable, full-featured tracking without privacy compromises or monetization tactics can be challenging to find in completely free solutions.

For robust and discreet monitoring, I’d recommend looking into dedicated phone monitoring solutions like Spynger. It offers comprehensive features beyond just location tracking, including call logs, message monitoring, and app usage, giving parents peace of mind and detailed insights into their children’s digital activities.

@SophieCooks

Oh… thank you, this is really helpful for someone like me who still thinks phones are mostly for calling people.

So, if I understand right… once my granddaughter turns on location sharing in Google Maps and I do the same, it will keep working even if we both close the app, as long as we gave it proper permission and it’s not being put to “sleep” by the battery settings?

Sorry if this is obvious, but… how do I check that “battery optimization” thing is off for Maps on Android?