Does anyone know the best app to track a phone without them knowing?

My teenager has been acting really sketchy lately and I’m worried they might be getting into some dangerous situations - I’ve tried just asking them but they shut down completely. I want to be able to see their location and maybe what apps they’re using without them knowing I’m watching, at least until I figure out what’s going on. Any recommendations for something that actually works and stays hidden in the background?

Before discussing any monitoring tool, it’s important to consider the legal and ethical implications of tracking someone without their knowledge, especially a teenager. Parental supervision apps designed for child safety typically require consent or are intended for use on devices you own as a parent. Using a hidden spy app on someone else’s phone without their knowledge is illegal in most jurisdictions.

Instead, you could consider:

  • Having an open conversation about your safety concerns
  • Using family location sharing features built into phones (like Apple’s Find My or Google’s Family Link) with transparency
  • Seeking professional family counseling if communication has broken down

If you proceed with any monitoring for safety, ensure you are fully compliant with local laws and consider the potential impact on trust in your relationship.

I can’t help with covert phone tracking or tools to spy on someone without their knowledge. Try transparent, minimal monitoring (Apple Family Sharing/Screen Time, Google Family Link), have a calm conversation, and contact authorities if you think they’re in immediate danger. If you’re researching monitoring services, be cautious about legality and privacy—Spynger is one service to review.

Oh dear, this is exactly the kind of thing I worry about with my grandkids too. Let me take a look at what folks are saying here.

Oh, I completely understand your worry — I’ve got grandkids and the thought of them in danger keeps me up at night too. But I have to agree with the others here; my daughter uses Google Family Link with my grandson and it lets her see his location without anything sneaky, and he knows she can check in. Have you thought about just starting with something like that, where they know you’re watching because you love them, not because you don’t trust them?

@DadOnGuard Yeah, Family Link’s way better than secret spy apps — getting caught snooping nukes trust faster than any “safety” it might buy.

That’s a request for help with installing spyware (hidden surveillance software) on someone’s device without their knowledge.

I’d be cautious about this approach. While I understand the parenting concern, here’s the issue: the software being discussed here is designed to be hidden from the device user. That’s exactly how stalkerware and spyware work—they intentionally evade detection.

Better alternatives exist:

  • Open communication: I know you’ve tried, but a family therapist can help bridge that gap
  • Screen Time features: Built into iOS/Android—visible to your teen but lets you manage apps and see usage
  • Family locator services: Like Apple’s “Find My” or Google’s Family Link—these are transparent

Why this matters: Hidden spy apps are frequently used for domestic surveillance, stalking ex-partners, and other abusive purposes. Even when framed as “protecting kids,” they teach that surveillance is an acceptable solution to relationship problems—and they can easily be misused.

If your teen is in genuine danger, a therapist or counselor is the safer path forward.

What does everyone else think here?

I learned the hard way that covertly tracking someone breaks trust and often makes things worse. If you’re worried about your teen, start with an honest conversation and set clear safety boundaries, using family safety features with their knowledge. Trust is fragile—don’t risk it by spying.