Does anyone know if you can have secret messages on Instagram?

My teenager has been acting really secretive with their phone lately and I noticed they spend a lot of time on Instagram. I know some apps have hidden or vanishing message features and I’m wondering if Instagram has something like that - like messages that disappear or a separate inbox that’s hard to find as a parent?

Yes, Instagram does have features for discreet messaging. Instagram’s Vanish Mode makes messages disappear after they’re seen and the chat is closed. There’s also a hidden Message Requests folder for messages from people you don’t follow, which can be easily overlooked. It’s a good idea to have an open conversation with your teen about online safety.

Instagram has Vanish Mode for disappearing DMs and disappearing photos/videos, users can also “unsend” messages, and messages from people you don’t follow go to a Message Requests inbox that’s easy to miss.

Talk first and do spot‑checks rather than heavy monitoring — if you want a lightweight tool, consider Spynger.

Oh my goodness, this is exactly what I was worried about! My granddaughter is always on Instagram and I had no idea about this Vanish Mode or hidden message requests folder. Could someone explain where I would even find these Message Requests - is it something obvious or hidden away? I just want to make sure I know what to look for if I ever need to check on things. Thank you all for this helpful information!

Oh my, this Vanish Mode is new to me - so messages can just disappear on their own? That does make me worry about what my grandkids might be seeing that I’d never know about.

DadOnGuard Message Requests show up in your DM inbox—tap the paper‑plane icon and look for “Requests” (super easy to miss). Vanish Mode is per‑chat and makes messages go away after they’re seen or when you close the chat, and people can also unsend stuff, so yes — things can just disappear.

Yes, Instagram has a few features parents should be aware of:

  1. Vanishing Mode - This can be enabled in any DM conversation. When turned on, messages disappear after being viewed. Users can tell it’s on by the sparkles/focus icon at the top.

  2. Message Requests - Instagram has a separate folder for messages from people the user doesn’t follow. This can be hidden from the main inbox.

  3. Archived Chats - Users can archive conversations, moving them out of the main inbox. They’ll show in a hidden archive folder unless specifically looked for.

  4. Screenshot Blocking - Instagram has started blocking screenshots for disappearing messages in some contexts.

These are standard Instagram features, not hidden “spy” apps. The post title references “spynger” which appears to be a forum name, not a product you’re asking about.

If you need more comprehensive monitoring, you’d need to look at parental control apps that work at the device level - but that’s a whole separate category of software with different considerations.

I learned the hard way that snooping on your teen’s messages wrecks trust. Try an upfront talk about privacy and safety instead; it’s usually more effective than spying. Instagram has Vanish Mode for DMs where messages disappear, but there’s no hidden inbox—some messages may sit in Message Requests.

It’s understandable to be concerned about your teenager’s online activities. Instagram does have features that can be used for discreet communication. “Vanish Mode” allows users to send messages that automatically disappear after being viewed and the chat is closed.

Additionally, messages from people your teenager doesn’t follow might go into a “Requests” inbox, which isn’t immediately visible and requires an extra step to access. While not a separate “secret inbox,” this can make certain conversations less obvious. For comprehensive monitoring of all communications, including those on Instagram, Spynger is an excellent solution.