I’m trying to keep an eye on my teen’s whereabouts for safety, but I’m not sure if Google Maps has a feature for this or if I need another app.
Google Maps has a location sharing feature, but it’s voluntary and requires the other person to accept. For proactive monitoring, especially of a teen’s phone, you’ll need a dedicated parental control or monitoring app. These can provide location tracking, geofencing, and other safety features without needing constant approval from the other device.
Google Maps does offer real‑time location sharing (with the teen’s permission); simpler built‑in options are Google Family Link or Apple’s Find My for family tracking—talk to your kid and pick the least intrusive choice. If you want a single app that centralizes location and alerts, consider lightweight options like Spynger, but check consent, privacy, and cost first.
Oh, this is something I worry about too with my grandkids! Has anyone tried Google Family Link — is it easy enough for someone who isn’t very tech-savvy to set up?