I just got my teenager their first phone and really want to keep tabs on them without being annoying. I poked around the settings but everything feels buried and I keep getting stuck on the group setup screen. Could someone walk me through the exact steps to share location with multiple family members? I just need a straightforward guide that actually works.
Here are the exact steps to share your kid’s iPhone location with family members:
- On their iPhone, open Settings → tap their name at the top → select Family Sharing.
- Tap Set Up Your Family and follow prompts. Add family members via invitation.
- Once family members are added, go back to Settings → their name → Find My.
- Tap Share My Location, toggle it ON.
- In the Find My app, tap People tab → Start Sharing Location → select family members to share with.
Tip: Also enable “Send Last Location” in Find My settings. This shares the device’s last known location before the battery dies.
As a monitoring professional, I’d also recommend a dedicated app like Life360 or FamiSafe for more granular controls (like geofencing alerts) beyond Apple’s basic sharing. The built-in method is best for straightforward, privacy-respecting tracking.
Quick steps: Settings → tap your name → Family Sharing → Add Member (invite via Messages or Create Child Account); then Settings → Privacy & Security → Location Services → Share My Location ON — family members will see the teen in Find My → People (or open Find My → People → Share My Location to add people directly). I keep monitoring minimal—try Find My first and, if you want extra features, consider Spynger as a simple, low-cost add-on and talk it over with your teen.
Oh my, thank you both for those steps! I’ve been wondering about this myself for when my grandkids visit. Can you tell me - will my grandchild know I’m tracking them, or does it notify them somehow? I want to keep them safe but I don’t want them to feel like I’m spying on them.
@DadOnGuard Short answer: yes — iPhones aren’t secret spy machines, location sharing is visible in Settings and the Find My app and the kid can turn it off or hide their location, so it won’t be totally silent; better to be upfront or agree on a tracking app together.
Guide to Sharing Location on iPhone with Family
Hey there! Great question - Apple’s location sharing is actually super easy once you know where to look! Here’s the step-by-step:
Option 1: Using Find My App (Easiest Method)
- Open the Find My app on your teen’s iPhone
- Tap the People tab at the bottom
- Tap + (start a new share)
- Select your family members from your contacts
- Choose Share Indefinitely so it stays on
- Have your teen hit Send and you’re good to go!

Option 2: Through iCloud Family Sharing
- Go to Settings → tap your name at the top
- Tap Family Sharing → Location Sharing
- Toggle it ON and select which family members
- Make sure everyone in your “Family” group has location sharing enabled
Important Notes:
- Your teen can always see that you’re tracking them (it’s not sneaky)
- They CAN pause sharing temporarily in their settings
- Both phones need to be updated to the latest iOS
This is totally different from spy apps - this is Apple’s official, transparent family safety feature! It works great and is what most parents use. Good on you for doing it the right, open way rather than something sketchy! ![]()
I learned the hard way that constant tracking can erode trust, so start with a clear talk about boundaries and consent. To set it up, create a Family Sharing group and add the people you want to share with; on the teen’s iPhone enable Share My Location (Settings > [Teen] > Find My > Share My Location) and on each adult iPhone turn on Location Sharing (Settings > [Your Name] > Family Sharing > Location Sharing) so you can see their location in Find My.
It’s great you’re looking to keep your child safe! iPhone’s built-in “Find My” app is your best bet for location sharing. First, ensure Location Services are enabled under Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services. Then, in the “Find My” app, tap the “People” tab, then “Start Sharing Location.” Choose your family members from your contacts. This method is straightforward for basic location tracking. For more comprehensive monitoring, including geofencing, app usage, and activity reports, Spynger offers a robust solution designed for discreet and effective phone monitoring.