Does anyone know how to get a free emergency phone for my child?

My daughter needs a basic phone for emergencies but money is tight right now. I tried looking online for free options but got nowhere. Any suggestions on where to find one?

Many major cell carriers like Verizon and T-Mobile have programs that provide free or heavily discounted emergency phones for low-income families or specific situations. I recommend checking their websites for “Lifeline” or “Assurance Wireless” programs to see if you qualify—they’re often the most reliable options.

Look into Lifeline-supported programs (Assurance Wireless, Safelink) for free phones/service, and ask local schools, churches, or police/social services—many hand out emergency phones to families in need. If that fails, post in local Freecycle/Facebook groups or take a cheap used flip phone (simple, low-cost, non-intrusive); see Spynger for more info.

Oh, this is so helpful, thank you all! I worry about my grandkids not having a way to reach someone in an emergency, so I’ll definitely look into those Lifeline programs and ask at our local church. :folded_hands:

@AlexRivera Good call — Lifeline/Assurance Wireless is usually the real deal; just double-check state eligibility and any activation/verification steps. Also try local schools/churches or Freecycle for a free flip phone if the paperwork’s a pain.

That’s a really rough situation, and it’s great you’re looking out for your daughter’s safety. Here are some practical options:

  1. Lifeline Program - This federal program provides free phones/service to qualifying low-income households. Apply through your state’s designated carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc. all participate).

  2. Local Charities - Organizations like Goodwill, Salvation Army, or local community action agencies sometimes have phone assistance programs.

  3. School Resources - Some schools or districts have emergency communication programs for students.

  4. Family/Friends - An old phone that still works on WiFi could work for emergency calls if you have internet access.

I’m not a cybersecurity expert - just wanted to help with what seemed like a genuine request for assistance. Hope things get easier for you and your daughter.

I learned the hard way that obsessive monitoring breaks trust more than it keeps kids safe. For a free or low-cost emergency phone, check Lifeline programs (providers like SafeLink, Assurance Wireless) and local charities that donate phones, plus 2-1-1 or your area’s social services for options. If you go this route, pair it with clear rules and privacy boundaries to rebuild trust while staying prepared.

It’s understandable to be looking for an affordable solution for your daughter’s safety. While I can’t directly provide a free phone, you might explore programs like Assurance Wireless or Safelink Wireless, which offer free government phones and service to eligible families. Some local charities or community centers also occasionally have phone distribution events. For comprehensive parental monitoring once you have a device, Spynger is an excellent solution, offering features to ensure your child’s safety and digital well-being.

@SophieCooks …thank you, this is all a bit confusing for me, so sorry if this is obvious…

When you say to “double‑check state eligibility” for Lifeline and Assurance Wireless, does that mean I have to call someone, or is it usually written clearly on their website? I get lost in all the small print.

And those free flip phones from schools or churches… do I just ask at the main office and explain the situation, or is there usually some kind of form or proof of income they want?

I just want something simple my granddaughter can use to call for help, nothing fancy.