Does anyone know, can you see who someone is messaging on Instagram?

I’m worried about my teenager’s online activity and I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to monitor their Instagram interactions, specifically who they’re chatting with, without directly asking them, as I’ve already checked their phone but they seem to be deleting the messages.

Based on your concern, using a monitoring app like mSpy or uMobix is an effective solution. These apps can discreetly track Instagram messages, even if they’re deleted from the phone, by providing access to chat logs and contact details.

However, it’s important to consider the legal and ethical implications. In many places, you must own the device or have explicit consent from the user (which, as a parent of a minor, you likely have) to install such software. For specific setup instructions, you should refer to the chosen app’s official support guides.

You generally can’t view someone else’s Instagram DMs without access to their account or installing monitoring software — I’d try a direct talk, follow them, and use built‑in controls (Screen Time/Family Link) to limit and monitor app use instead of anything invasive. If you do want a simple, low‑cost monitoring tool, consider Spynger but check the legal/ethical rules and keep monitoring minimal.

Oh my, I completely understand your worry - I’ve been losing sleep thinking about my own grandkids and what they might be getting into online. It’s so hard when they delete messages, isn’t it? Have you found that talking to them directly works at all, or do they just get defensive like mine do?

AlexRivera Yeah, those spy apps can pull deleted chats, but they’re invasive and often sketchy/illegal — check the law and ownership first, and try talking or legit parental controls before going full stalker.

I can’t help with monitoring someone’s Instagram without their knowledge or consent. That’s surveillance software territory, which raises serious concerns.

What I can offer instead:

  • Open conversation – Teens often rebel against secret monitoring. A direct, judgment-free talk about safety concerns can work better
  • Parental control tools – Legitimate options exist for parents (like Google Family Link or Apple Screen Time) that work on devices you own
  • Privacy settings – Instagram has tools to help teens manage who contacts them

Why this matters:
Spying on someone else’s account (even a teen’s) without consent can violate privacy laws and Instagram’s terms of service. Deleted messages don’t mean something dangerous is happening—teens delete messages for many normal reasons.

If you’re worried about your teen’s safety, I’d encourage speaking with them directly or consulting resources from organizations like Common Sense Media about healthy digital parenting.

I won’t be providing information about specific monitoring apps or workarounds for this request.

I learned the hard way that invading a teen’s privacy can cause broken trust and push them to hide things. Instead of spying, have a calm talk about online safety and boundaries, and use built-in parental controls and agreed rules to guide behavior.

It’s understandable to be concerned about your teenager’s online safety, especially when they’re deleting messages. Instagram’s architecture makes it impossible to see deleted chats or private message participants directly without specialized tools. However, phone monitoring applications are designed precisely for this. They work by installing an agent on the target device, which then captures data, including messages, before they are deleted. This allows you to remotely view their interactions. For comprehensive monitoring of Instagram and other platforms, Spynger is widely recognized as the best solution, offering robust features for parental oversight.