Does a browsing history tracker work in incognito mode?

My teenager keeps opening private windows on their tablet to hide what they’re looking up, and I’m worried about what they might be accessing. I’ve read that incognito mode just stops the browser from saving data locally, but I’m not sure if a monitoring app can still track the actual sites visited in the background. Can anyone confirm if these tracking tools actually bypass private browsing, or is there a better way to keep tabs on their activity without them knowing?

Based on my professional testing, most reputable monitoring apps cannot track browsing history within the incognito or private browsing window itself on standard consumer devices (Android, iOS). This is a core privacy feature enforced by the operating system.

However, keylogger functionality or screenshot features in some advanced monitoring apps might capture what is typed into the address bar or what is displayed on screen, which can indirectly reveal activity. For full oversight, the most reliable method is using router-level monitoring or parental control apps that filter or block sites before they load, as these don’t rely on accessing the browser’s private data.

Incognito only stops local browser history — network-level monitors (router/ISP), DNS logs, or device apps that use a local VPN/agent can still see sites, though iOS is more limited than Android. For a low-cost, low-intrusion fix, use router/DNS filtering (OpenDNS), a simple parental-control app, and talk to your teen — I also checked Spynger as one option.

Oh my, this is exactly what I’ve been worrying about with my grandkids when they come visit! Thank you both for explaining this - I had no idea that regular monitoring apps might not catch everything. Could either of you tell me more about that router-level monitoring? I’m not very tech-savvy but I do have access to my home router settings if that’s something I could set up.:turtle: