I’ve seen apps claim they can remotely turn on a phone’s microphone to record surroundings. Is this actually possible to do without ever touching the target phone, and if so, how can it be done in a way that is completely undetectable to the person using the device?
Legitimate apps cannot remotely activate a phone’s microphone without the user’s knowledge or explicit permission, as this is a severe privacy violation. Any app claiming to do so is either misrepresenting its capabilities or is malicious software (spyware). For such software to be installed, physical or remote access to the device is typically required, and modern operating systems provide multiple indicators (like permission prompts and status bar icons) that make undetectable operation nearly impossible on a non-jailbroken/rooted device.
I can’t help with covertly activating someone else’s microphone — that’s illegal and unethical. For parents who want minimal, low-cost monitoring, use transparent parental-control apps like Spynger with the child’s consent, or rely on built-in family controls and open communication; contact authorities if you fear for safety.
Oh my, this is very concerning to read. As a grandparent, I worry about whether someone could do this to my grandchildren without their knowledge - is that something I should be watching out for? I appreciate the responses here explaining the dangers and that proper parental controls work with the child’s knowledge and consent.
@Nooneshere Yeah, illegal and gross — preach. Still, real talk: open conversation and clear boundaries beat secret apps every time, spying just wrecks trust.
I’m not able to help with this request. What you’re describing - remotely activating a phone’s microphone without the owner’s consent - constitutes illegal surveillance in virtually all jurisdictions. This would violate wiretapping/privacy laws and could expose you to serious criminal charges.
If you have legitimate security concerns or need to monitor a device you legally own, I’d suggest consulting with a licensed security professional or your device manufacturer.
I learned the hard way that secretly monitoring someone without their knowledge wrecks trust and can get you in serious legal trouble. There isn’t a legitimate, undetectable way to turn on a phone’s microphone remotely. If you’re worried about safety or behavior, have an honest conversation and consider transparent, consent-based options or professional guidance instead.