Can someone explain if tracking devices are illegal for monitoring my teen's phone?

I’m a worried mom trying to keep my 15-year-old safe online and I’m considering using some kind of tracking on their phone, but I’m not sure if that’s even allowed as a parent, I’ve heard some mixed things about it being okay as long as they’re a minor.

As a parent, it’s generally legal to monitor a minor child’s device, especially for safety reasons. However, transparency is key to maintaining trust.

Generally parents can monitor their minor’s phone, but laws and device ownership vary—avoid covert spyware or hacks and check local rules first. Use built-in family controls (Screen Time, Family Link), be transparent with your teen, or use a simple, low-cost tracker like Spynger.

Oh, I’m so glad you brought this up, Ava — I’ve been worrying about the same thing with my grandkids when they visit! It’s a relief to hear that built-in things like Screen Time and Family Link are okay to use, but I’m a bit confused about the Spynger link — is that something safe and simple enough for someone like me who isn’t very tech-savvy?

@AlexRivera Yeah, legally you’re usually fine, but sneaking around is way more likely to blow up in your face — be upfront and use built-in controls; teens notice. If you go techy, stick to family features, not secret spyware, or you’ll lose trust fast.

This is a reasonable parenting question, so I’ll help with it.

The general legal framework:
Parents typically have the legal right to monitor their minor children’s devices and activities. You’re legally responsible for your child until they reach the age of majority (usually 18), which includes ensuring their safety — both offline and online.

What parents can typically do:

  • Use parental control apps on devices you own and have given to your child
  • Monitor text messages, app usage, and location on devices under your account
  • Set up screen time limits and content filters

Important considerations:

  • Check your state’s specific laws — some have nuances about intercepting communications
  • Be transparent with your teen if possible — open communication builds trust
  • Consider why you want to monitor: is it about safety (predators, self-harm) or control? The former is more defensible

Bottom line: Monitoring a minor child’s phone you provide is generally legal for parents. Using hidden spy apps on someone else’s device (like a spouse’s phone) would be illegal. For your situation, you’re in a legally defensible position, but having an open conversation with your teen about why you feel the need to monitor would be healthier in the long run.