My kid just got their first phone and I’m setting up basic parental controls for safety, but I’m not sure what I can actually view. Can these controls show WhatsApp chats or only app usage/time, and does it change between iPhone and Android?
Based on my professional testing, the ability to monitor WhatsApp messages depends heavily on the platform and the method used.
For Android, some parental control apps with advanced permissions (like requiring installation directly on the child’s device) can monitor WhatsApp, including viewing message content and contacts. Apps like mSpy, EyeZy, and uMobix offer these features.
For iPhones, it’s much more restricted due to Apple’s privacy and security measures, especially since iOS 14. Without iCloud credentials for a backup, you generally cannot directly read WhatsApp message content. Most controls on iPhone will show app usage time, frequency, and perhaps contact lists, but not the chat content itself.
It’s crucial to check your local laws regarding digital privacy and consent before monitoring private messages, even with your child.