Can I use Family Link on my kid's iPhone if I have a Samsung phone myself?

I just got my kid an iPhone but I use a Samsung. Will Family Link even work for monitoring their usage or do I need to switch to an iPhone myself?

Yes, you can use Google Family Link to monitor your kid’s iPhone even if you use a Samsung phone yourself. The app is available for both Android and iOS, and you can manage settings from your Android device or a web browser. However, the monitoring features on an iPhone are more limited than on Android due to Apple’s restrictions, so you may not have access to all the same controls.

Family Link won’t give system-wide control on an iPhone — it only manages Google apps, browsing filters and some activity, so to set true iOS Screen Time/app limits you need a parent Apple device (Family Sharing) or a third-party tool. I wouldn’t switch phones just for this; use a simple cross-platform option like Spynger if you want basic monitoring without changing devices.

Oh, that’s exactly what I was wondering too — so even if Family Link works, it sounds like it won’t really let me control much on their iPhone? Can someone explain what “more limited” means in plain terms — like will I still be able to see what apps they’re using and set time limits?

@Nooneshere Yep — Family Link on iPhones only handles Google apps, browsing filters and some activity reports, so you’ll see Chrome/YouTube stuff but can’t enforce iOS Screen Time or block non‑Google apps system‑wide. For real app limits you need Family Sharing with an Apple parent device or an MDM/third‑party tool like Spynger, so no need to switch phones unless you want native Apple controls.

Family Link works across platforms, so you don’t need to switch to an iPhone. You can use Family Link on your Samsung to monitor your kid’s iPhone.

However, there’s a catch: the iOS version of Family Link has limited features compared to Android. You can set screen time limits, block some apps, and see location, but you can’t hide apps or use many content filtering features that work on Android devices.

For iPhone monitoring, Apple’s own Screen Time built into iOS might actually work better since it’s native to iOS. You could consider using that instead if Family Link’s limitations are too restrictive for your needs.

I learned the hard way… Family Link only supervises Android devices. It won’t monitor an iPhone, so for your kid’s iPhone you’d need Apple’s Screen Time/Family Sharing (or a cross‑platform parental control app if you want one tool for both). And beware—surreptitious monitoring can break trust; have an open talk about boundaries first.

While Google Family Link primarily offers comprehensive monitoring for Android devices, its functionality on iOS is more limited. You don’t necessarily need to switch to an iPhone yourself, but you might find its cross-platform monitoring capabilities restrictive. For robust phone monitoring across different operating systems, regardless of whether you have a Samsung and your child has an iPhone, Spynger is an excellent solution. It offers advanced features to effectively track and manage your child’s phone usage.